Mad for Plaid
Needless to say, we are in a fall state of mind over here. While it might not totally and completely feel like it here in Houston, we’ve already transitioned our wardrobes and are starting to think about the holidays. Something that always takes on a fall inspired feel is the beloved pattern, plaid. We are seriously ‘mad for plaid’ in these parts! As you can see in these photos, one type of plaid wasn’t enough for me. Indeed, I found a dress that included two versions of one of my all time favorite patterns.
Tips and Ideas for Wearing Plaid
When it comes to wearing plaid, there really are no rules. A fool-proof look is a plaid button down shirt loosely tucked into a pair of distressed boyfriend jeans with booties or a great pair of kicks.
However, we like to wear plaid beyond this comfy, casual look, as well. So, read on for our top six tips for wearing plaid.
Tip # 1
- If you’re opting for wearing one print at a time, plaid being the print you have chosen, go for a button down plaid shirt. If that’s still a bit too bold for you, and you’re one to veer on the side of solids, try out a plaid scarf, as a way to ease into the style. You can also tie a plaid shirt around your waist, which adds an immediate casual-cool element to your outfit.
Tip # 2
- Is print your middle name? Let’s say you’re ready to dive head first into the world of plaid; go for a stand out plaid shirt, and it doesn’t have to be button down. You can dress up the look by wearing a plaid blouse or sweater with a skirt and heels.
Tip # 3
- Now, if just one printed piece isn’t enough for you, pull out your trusty striped pieces, and pair them with plaid. We adore plaid and stripes together. It could be our favorite duo when it comes to mixing prints. However, no need to limit it to plaid and stripes; plaid also looks great with florals, polka dots, and even certain animal prints!
Tip # 4
- Another way to wear plaid is two types of plaid together (similar to what I’m wearing in these photos). For example, try gingham plaid with window pane plaid. Mixing plaids and colors is a really great look for the season.
Tip # 5
- Since plaid can take on a relaxed vibe, try pairing your look with OTK boots or a metallic loafer, as a way to dress it up and take it to the next level. Experiment with different fabrics and textures.
What I’m Wearing
I’m wearing the L’AGENCE Kylie Dress (also available in a maxi version), and the mixed plaid is what caught my attention. The colors of the two plaids work perfectly together, and I love that this dress is long sleeve, yet lightweight. I paired it with my trusty Stuart Weitzman OTK boots (with a heel here and similar version here) and my Chanel bag (purchased in Paris, but less expensive, similar version here). I topped the look off with my favorite sunglasses (similar Karen Walker version that I love here), my new necklace from The Jen Collection, and NARS ‘Scarlet Empress’ lipstick.
Keep scrolling to browse our favorite plaid selections…
Our Favorite Plaid Picks
One More Thing
Are you a lover of plaid? If so, how do you wear it? We would love to hear in the comments below!
Photos by Maritere Rice