Easy and Delicious Father’s Day Ideas
Written by Ashley Cardoza
Father’s Day is just about here! Can you believe that we’re already into the middle of June? Summer is in full force here in Houston and we’re sweating just walking to our cars. I’m not sure about the men in your life, but cheese and whiskey is the way to my man’s heart. We love a good cheese board and a good cold whiskey drink. Normally I am a whiskey and Cola gal, but during the summer I love combining my favorite summer flavors. Below you’ll find two easy options to entertain & feed the men in your life this weekend.
Meet my new favorite summer drink : Whiskey Lemon-Ginger Fizz
Right now we are obsessed with lemonade, ginger beer, and of course whiskey. This drink is refreshing and can be as strong or as weak as your bartender wants to mix. My man was a bit heavy handed on his pour, so his was stronger than the recipe.
Whiskey Lemon-Ginger Fizz
- Ice Cubes
- 4 oz Blended Whiskey/Bourbon
- 2 oz of Ginger Beer
- 2 oz of Lemonade
- Lemon Slice
- Serve in a Glass or Whiskey Mule Mug
The No-Fail Summer Cheese Board
In our house, cheese boards are our love language. I love a good seasonal cheese board, and summer heat means I like to keep it light and fruity. Sometimes picking cheeses can be so overwhelming. I’ve caught myself standing in the fancy cheese area just wondering where the heck to begin. I’m no cheese expert, but I’m an expert cheese eater!
Here are a few tips on picking cheeses:
- Keep it Simple: If this is your first cheese board, start with the cheeses you know and love. You can go to the regular cheese section and pick a few different blocks of cheese to slice up and serve.
- Pick 3-4 Cheeses: Almost always, we have found that if we choose a soft cheese, a hard cheese, and a middle cheese we can’t go wrong. Here are the cheeses on our board:
- Soft Cheese – Plain goat cheese
- Hard Cheese – Aged cheddar
- Middle Cheese – Smoked gouda
- Add Fruit: Grapes are an easy, refreshing, and light option. Sometimes we add a honey or jam option, but this time opted for ripe raspberries that were so very sweet. Pair the raspberries with goat cheese on your Wholey Cheese! cracker, which is a favorite in our household.
- Crackers: This time we opted to try something new, light, and flavorful. We paired our board with the Snyder’s “Wholey Cheese!” Crispy Baked Crackers. The crackers were so tasty with these cheeses. We loved the small bite size and lightness.
- Meat/Protein: Pack on the protein with a hard aged meat. We opted for salami this time, but we love pepperoni, prosciutto, and sometimes add nuts.
- Get fancy: Serve up your cheese on a fun board. If you have a marble board be sure to put a small white dish underneath anything that could stain or damage your marble. I put our raspberries on a decanter lid to prevent the red juice from staining. Bust out those fancy tablecloths, cloth napkins, and fun plates. Most of all, celebrate in style!
What are your plans for Father’s Day? Still figuring out what to get that father figure in your life? Whatever you’re up to, it’s almost guaranteed he’ll love the above ideas! Let us know if you end up trying out either of them. And be sure to check back this afternoon, as we have a fun summer fashion round up coming your way.
Delicious! Love that frizz! Love the cups!