The Color of the Season : Golden Yellow is Bright and Cheerful
Written by Julie Weinstein
Happy Monday, guys! I know, ‘happy’ and ‘Monday’ in the same sentence can sometimes feel like a juxtaposition, especially after having a great weekend. However, we can’t help but smile and feel happy when looking at these photos, and we think this post is going to brighten up your Monday morning in no time.
One of the biggest colors of the season is, hands down, yellow. We are seeing all different shades, from canary to lemon to marigold to saffron and beyond. Though, the one we’re seeing tons of (which also happens to be our favorite shade of the bunch) is a golden yellow hue. It’s not too light, not too dark, not too dull, but not too bright, and it’s an extremely flattering color to wear.
From the Runway to the Red Carpet
We were thrilled to see this golden shade of yellow on the runways, as well as all over the red carpets this awards season. One of our very favorite looks of all was Natalie Portman’s Prada gown from the Golden Globes, which, fittingly, channeled Jackie Kennedy in every possible way. By the way, she had her baby this past week, which is so exciting!
You can find some more of our favorite looks below.
Chloé/ Bottega Veneta / Gucci
Golden Globes : Natalie Portman in Prada / Viola Davis in Michael Kors
Emmy’s : Ellie Kemper in Jenny Packham / Minnie Driver in Versace
Golden Globes : Maisie Williams in Ong-Oaj Pairam / Oscars : Leslie Mann in Zac Posen
5 Tips to Wear Golden Yellow
In the past, yellow wasn’t necessarily the first color that came to mind in terms of it working with skin tone, hair color, and even eye color. It seemed people were almost fearful of wearing the hue. However, that has certainly changed. It appears that women are truly embracing the color, especially this season.
This shade, in particular, is very flattering on all skin tones, but if you’re still a bit hesitant, of course, you can go for a bit lighter or darker yellow, depending on the look you’re going for.
- Sheer, Feminine, and Romantic : The first thing that comes to mind for most when thinking about yellow is bright, cheerful, and happy, and what’s more ‘cheerful’ and ‘happy’ than romance? It might sound cheesy, but you’ll see that yellow lends itself well to sheer, feminine pieces. Try a sheer, lace tank, for example.
- Casual and Cool : If you’re not ready to fully embrace the color trend, you can try it out with a casual look. Opt for a yellow tee and a pair of distressed denim.
- Accessories, Accessories, Accessories : Now, if you’re simply still on the fence wearing the color within your apparel, go for shoes and/or accessories in the shade instead.
- Yellow Head to Toe : If you’re ready for it, go for the bold. Grab a golden yellow dress and embrace the color fully (as Carrie did with the Tibi dress in these photos). You can also wear a golden yellow skirt or pair of pants with a beautiful yellow blouse. Complement the look with gold toned or neutral accessories.
- Color Pairings : There are no rules, and you can truly wear the color with whatever you’d like, but the colors we love to pair it with are : gold, tan, coral, blue, red, navy, pink, and grey.
Golden Yellow Favorites
As we mentioned, there are so many beautiful golden yellow options out there.
Our personal favorites include : the Tibi dress Carrie is wearing in these photos, Sachin & Babi’s demi embroidered lace dress, Self Portrait’s button shirt dress, Sam Edelman’s ankle strap sandals, and Tibi’s wide leg pants. Below you’ll find these pieces, along with a myriad of other options. From tops to dresses to accessories and shoes, at all price points, you’re bound to find something that perfectly fits your style.
In Closing and Coming Up This Week
So, what do you think? Are you going to embrace this golden yellow color trend this spring? What’s your favorite piece from above? And, as always, all items of Carrie’s look are linked below for you.
Finally, we have lots of great content coming up this week. So be sure to stop back by here often to read the latest and greatest. Here is a preview of what you can expect: our first Maternity Monday post later this afternoon, where Carrie will be sharing some of the cute baby things she’s been eyeing, an all encompassing guide to Yurt travel tomorrow, another ‘meet the team’ post (you’ll be meeting our wonderful graphic designer, Ashley), a delicious and colorful recipe, plus lots more fashion and style.
Have a great week and we’ll see you back here soon!
Photos of Carrie by Maritere Rice in Dallas, Texas
Runway photos borrowed from Vogue / Red carpet photos borrowed from ET Online, People, Vulture, Hollywood Reporter, and Celeb Mafia / All red carpet details can be found on Red Carpet Fashion Awards