Inspired By : Modernism Week
Written by Hannah Lyons
First off, Happy Friday everyone! TGISB aka thank goodness it’s spring break, well at least for me. As a soon-to-be college graduate, I’m appreciating this last week of well-needed rest.
Anyway, because we took a quick break last Friday for National Day of Unplugging, I’m just now getting to share my thoughts on Modernism Week. Being the first year that I actively followed the event, it’s now front and center on my bucket list!
Here’s a little background info:
- Who: Modernism Week; California non-profit organization
- What: An annual week-long event, filled with events (i.e.; Modernism Show & Sale, Signature Home Tours, films, live music) celebrating midcentury modern design, architecture, art, fashion, and culture.
- When: February 16,2017 – February 26, 2017
- Where: Palm Springs, CA.
Inspired By: The Christopher Kennedy Compound Home Tour
An annual and favorite event of Modernism Week, The Christopher Kennedy Compound Home Tour redesigns a classic Palm Springs abode into a refreshingly modern living utopia, showcasing the work of 20 of the nation’s most prominent trendsetters. This year’s home owners were Kelly of Kelly Go Lightly and her husband, Klaus. Below I share my 3 favorite rooms of the house!
My Top 3 Favorite Rooms:
- Guest Room: My design hero, Joy Cho, and her team managed to create the happiest room I could ever imagine. It’s definitely at the very top of my list; I’m obsessed with everything. Predominately white, but accented with bold decor pieces, the room appears so bubbly and feminine. Imagine the most cheery room in the entire world. Now, click here to see it!
- Laundry Room: The laundry room is a collaboration between Able and Baker, Rachel Cannon Ltd. Interiors, and Dunn-Edwards Paints. I die at the color of the cabinets and the choice of tribal rug. Seriously, I melt. Honestly, I would never complain about doing laundry in a launderette like that.
- Terrace: J. Keith Fortner and Christopher Kennedy managed to create a modern paradise in the backyard of the home. Let’s just say I was glued to Kelly Mindell’s (@studiodiy) Instagram stories when she was giving a close-up tour of the terrace and pool. Did I mention their outside grill is turquoise? Sure, I can pick up BBQing real quick!
Note: Having a difficult time finding pictures of the tour? I found that a lot of the participating designers haven’t had a chance to share about their experience yet. Don’t worry! Search #christopherkennedycompound on Instagram and there’s plenty to view.
16 Modern + Bold +Colorful Home Inspired Items
The Modernism house oozes with design techniques that are purely midcentury modernism – bold in colors and sleek in shapes. Shop 16 items that shout modern + bold + colorful, all inspired by The Christopher Kennedy Compound Home. What’s the purpose of the tour if you don’t find a bit of inspiration yourself, right? Happy browsing!
1 –‘Pay Phone’ Wall Phone | 2 – Wild and Wolf Wall Clock | 3 – T-Rex Faux Planter | 4 – Oh Joy! Storage Bench | 5 – Oh Joy! OMG Vase Set | 6 – Oh Joy! Kids Chair | 7 – Parrot Gallery Wall Art Set | 8 – Oh Joy! Hey You | 9 – Oh Joy! Knit Baby Blanket | 10 – Oh Joy! Screen | 11 – Toucan Candle | 12 – ‘Swim Dots’ Wall Art | 13 – ‘Stardust’ Reusable Peel and Stick Vinyl Wallpaper | 14 – Biggy Magnetic Container | 15 – Honeycomb Set of 8 Room Panels | 16 – Vegan Leather Desk Chair
So, what are your favorite picks from above? Is all this talk of fabulous interiors giving you some design inspiration? Hope so! As well, Carrie’s Weekend Edition will be up this afternoon instead of tomorrow, so be sure to check back later for some great links from around the web this week. Have a great weekend!
Graphic design by Ashley Cardoza