Celebrating 40 Continued
Happy Tuesday, lovely ladies (and, as well, any gents who may be reading)! As we established yesterday, this week is all about celebrating my upcoming 40th birthday. The emphasis is not so much to put the focus on me necessarily, but to celebrate life through all things happy and birthday related this week. We hope you are enjoying the celebration so far. This morning’s focus: 40 random things about me.
But first, a brief note about this outfit… How divine is this dress? In keeping with this week’s theme, I have to say that I feel a bit like a birthday cupcake in this dress! And I mean that in the best possible way, of course. We will share more about this designer soon, as it’s one of my current favorites. But for now, suffice it to say that this outfit contains several of my current favorite elements:
- this dress
- these statement earrings
- this cult favorite bag (which we highlighted here)
- these sandals – In fact, you might remember the pink sandals I’ve worn recently (here, here, and here). Well, I liked them so much I got them in this neutral oatmeal suede color.
40 Random Facts About Me
Now, in continuing with the “celebrating 40” theme, we thought it’d be fun to do a listing of 40 random facts about me. In all the time I’ve been writing here now (2+ years), I don’t think I’ve ever shared anything like this. So, here goes… A list in free flow thought form…
- I was born in Denver, Colorado.
- I grew up in Perryton, Texas – a small town as far north as you could go and still be in Texas.
- I grew up in a very isolated environment… The town was a two hour drive from the nearest airport or shopping mall.
- I played golf competitively growing up – and I was pretty darn good.
- I also played basketball, which resulted in an injury in junior high that resulted in a permanent scar in my left eyebrow.
- I was valedictorian of my high school.
- I was incredibly awkward / not cool / not well dressed / nerdy as a teenager.
- My undergraduate degree is in petroleum engineering from The University of Texas.
- I obtained my MBA also from UT while working full time.
- I graduated with highest honors and at the top of my engineering class.
- I only had one B in undergrad, and it was my first semester – immediately ruining my plans for a 4.0, although I ended with a 3.98.
- I interned in the oil fields of west Texas for two summers during college, wearing a hard hat and steel toe shoes everyday!
- I had a 17 year career in the oil and gas industry before “retiring” to focus on this business full time.
- I serve on the executive advisory board for the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas.
- The biggest honor I’ve received from a professional perspective: being named Outstanding Young Engineering Graduate at UT a few years ago.
- I’m very driven and can be pretty particular and rigid at times.
- I like to think I’ve relaxed some over the years; those around me may disagree with that. 😉
- I’ve lived in Houston for 18 years now (since graduating from college) and consider it home.
- I’m definitely a city girl at this point! I could never go back to a small town.
- I hate shopping malls. In fact, I’m really not a fan of in person shopping at all. Crowds make me anxious.
- On a related note, I’m a bit of an introvert. I have to have my downtime to recharge.
- I like sleep. A lot. I’m not one of those people who can pull all-nighters or run on only four hours of sleep.
- My single favorite food would have to be strawberries! Always has been.
- I’m currently craving pasta. That’s about the only thing I can eat successfully these days. Bring on the carbs and calories!
- I’ve always had a creative bent that has expressed itself differently throughout my life.
- Case in point: I used to be an avid scrapbooker.
- In fact, I was a contributing editor for Better Homes & Gardens now defunct Scrapbooks Etc. magazine.
- Indeed, I wrote a regular column for the magazine.
- I’m admittedly not good at make-up application. It’s just not a skill I’ve ever really learned or mastered to any great extent.
- My skin has been prone to breakouts over the years – even now as I am pregnant and approach 40 and have gray hairs!
- Speaking of gray hairs, I spotted my first one right after my 30th birthday. Gasp! I blame it on my granny. 😉
- I enjoy working out and being physically active and physically fit.
- I watch more TV than I prefer to admit, although it is often on only as background noise.
- I wish I was a faster reader. Through all my years of school and business, I’ve still never picked up the knack for speed reading. I like to read slowly and take it all in.
- I tend to think and act very methodically. This leads me to overthink things sometimes.
- I love reading business books and listening to business podcasts!
- I traveled over 175,000 miles last year. (There will obviously be a drastic drop this year.)
- Staying put here in Houston at home so much this year has been a difficult change, but necessary for my own and the baby’s health.
- A few of my favorite places I’ve traveled: the Virgin Islands, Russia (St. Petersburg and Moscow), Dubai / UAE / Middle East, and Italy.
- Every decade gets better! My 30s were better than my 20s. And I look forward to my 40s being better than my 30s. Indeed, I believe my 40s will be the best yet!
Finally, if you are a sweet lover, you won’t want to miss this afternoon’s article. Let’s just say we have a delicious birthday treat coming up for you! Yes, the photo above provides a little clue to the topic. Stay tuned…
Photos by Maritere Rice on location at the adorable Honey Art Cafe