Maternity Monday : 27 Weeks Update
40 + 28 + 7… These are not numbers I anticipated going together. But in fact these numbers somewhat define me these days. If you read this morning’s article, you might have seen that I turn 40 later this week. Along with turning 40 later this week, I’ll also be 28 weeks (7 months) pregnant!
Update on Baby Girl + Me
First, a brief little update on baby and me…
How far along am I?
27+ weeks. Due date is 7.7.17
How is the baby?
So far, so good! We got to hear her strong heartbeat and see her via ultrasound this morning, which is always a huge moment of happiness for me.
As I mentioned last week, she is measuring pretty small, but we made up some ground over the last few weeks. So, that’s good news!
How am I?
Eh, about the same… Gall bladder related pain is still ever present, making eating difficult and causing severe nausea. So, we continue to try to manage the pain and get me the nutritional intake I need for the baby.
40 Things I’m Looking Forward to with My Baby Girl
In the spirit of celebrating 40 this week, I thought I’d take a minute to reflect and dream about the things I’m most looking forward to with my baby girl. Here are some thoughts from the top of my mind, ranging from the serious to superfluous…
- Meeting my sweet little girl
- Holding her and feeling that soft newborn skin
- Smelling that sweet newborn smell
- Giving her a sense of love and security
- Instilling a sense of confidence in her
- Reminding her every day of how beautiful and special she is
- Seeing her bond with her dad
- Adding even more pink to my life
- Going on evening walks together as a family
- Discovering her personality
- Taking her to visit the cattle on the farm with her GranDan (my dad Dan)
- Developing nicknames for her
- Learning her strengths and skills and natural bent
- Baking Christmas cookies with her and my granny
- Traveling with her
- Decorating Easter eggs together
- Doing arts and crafts together
- Watching her bond with her Aunt Kelli
- Dressing her in cute clothes of course
- Witnessing her interact with her older siblings
- Learning how to do her hair
- Having a little mini me
- Doing all the girly things like dressing up and playing make believe
- Reading books to her
- Enjoying the great outdoors together
- Teaching her sports like golf and basketball and tennis or whatever interests her
- Getting manicures and pedicures together
- Gaining a friend (I know, I know – I am her parent first, but I hope we will have a friendship as well.)
- Teaching her how to do all the girl things like putting on make-up, shaving her legs, and all that stuff
- Having things in common together
- Discovering her uniqueness
- Teaching her to be independent and self-sufficient
- Instilling in her the value of education and a career
- Introducing her to our dogs – both her big brother Spy and her cousin Pablo
- Teaching her to act with integrity and responsibility
- Showering her with hugs and kisses and love
- Being vulnerable and open with her
- Acknowledging the beauty of imperfections
- Watching her develop into her own unique person
- My heart experiencing a love like it has never known
Trust me – I know there will be struggles. I am under no illusions that this will be a walk in the park. But it’s also good to dream.
Finally, what are some of your favorite aspects of being a parent? I’d love to hear, particularly if you have a girl. Let me know some of the things that have brought you the most joy as a parent.